CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Our Family Fun Days

People have asked what we do on our family fun days, so I thought I'd put it on a post. It is, by far, one of the best ideas we've come up with. We share 10 acres of land with 3 families, which we've all become best friends. We started it out by just playing football on Sunday afternoons this fall. One night as we all sat down for dinner together, we thought we should make this a weekly thing. So, FAMILY FUN DAY was born. Each family takes turns in being the host. The host family chooses what we do on that day--whether it is soccer, football, kickball, bowling or just a movie. Then, after our fun activity we go back to the host family's house for a big meal together. It's so fun! We all get excercise and just laugh our butts off! The kids LOVE it, and it's so fun to hear what they want to play. On our next host day, Mitch has voted to play hide-n-go seek tag. Can you imagine, I think I'd need a defibrillator! :) We have a few very competitive people and it's taught them to calm down and just enjoy the game. Some of our winter ideas are sledding (if we have snow), having a gingerbread making contest, snowman family contest, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and heading to one family's cabin and clearing off a spot of ice to ice skate and have a fire (not on the ice, of course). We try to make it a no-cost event, also. We've also invited another family to join us, so it's not just limited to our families. The more, the merrier!
I encourage anyone and everyone to do this with their families and friends. It's so great making memories, and watching the kids laugh at the 'old people'. They laugh at us Mom's running the bases, or trying to catch a football...which I seem to always drop...or the Dad's tackling each other or having a face-off on one of the bases during kickball.
I have to admit, there were some days I just wanted to stay in and watch the football game, but it is mandatory for everyone :) and I am ALWAYS glad I went. The fresh air is medicine for the soul.

9 comments:

Julie B said...

I was wondering what they were...that sounds SO fun!! I would love to do something like that when the girls get older...what a great idea!

Also-can't wait to see some of your creations! Are you still knitting?

Chris said...

Yes, I'm still knitting, and thinking about designing a new purse. I've also been knitting these cute little finger puppets for kids, and I'm embarking on a very cool project--one that you'll love. I'm starting on it tonight, and I'll post pictures.

Peace is every step said...

What a great idea!!! By the way, a woman who owns a cute coffee/cafe shop is interested in selling your purses if you are interested in making a business. Sorry, I just threw it out there when she commented on it, and she is definately interested. I can think of about 5 places who would sell them! I'll give you her number next week....you totally have a gift that needs to be shared-the universe has spoken. OK I can go a little overboard:).

Chris said...

Hey, thanks for the business opportunity. I really need to pursue this, I think. I need to make a little dough. I'll be anxious to get her number. Thanks Dani! (I know you love that name)

Peace is every step said...

No problem! Maybe you could have some done by Thanksgiving & I could go around with them? I think it might be too late for this HUGE x-mas crafter sale....but I'll look into it-you'd sell a ton there. Last year people kept asking me if I bought it there and where they could get one.

Julie B said...

Chrissie- I would love to have one of your bags...I'll pay you!

Chris said...

I guess I better get working! I'm trying to figure out how to make a website so that I can sell some things on-line. Anyone have suggestions? Do I have to pay for one? I'm so computer illiterate. I'm searching the internet for bulk yarn so that I can make them cheaper. Ahhhhh!
Julie--let me know what time you'd like...I can make one that you can sling over your neck (kind of like a messenger bag), or one with shorter handles. I'll try and post pictures and you can choose, o.k.? Give me some time, though. I have a really cute project going on that I have to finish first. :)

Julie B said...

Chrissie- I could research it for you if you want, and would love to help you set it up! I'll email you later this afternoon when the girls are asleep
No rush on me...I have been meaning to tell you I wanted one ever since I heard about them! So don't worry about that until after the holidays..I would love to see some pictures.

Peace is every step said...

You should sell them on Etsy! I've looked through their bags, and yours would stand out. www.etsy.com

might be a good start anyway.