CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 13, 2007

My 10 yr. old son...and the "S" word


I picked up Tanner from school yesterday, and he has some "great" news. "In health, when we reach chapter 3, a nurse is going to seperate the boys from the girls and talk to us about 'girl parts' and 'boy parts'." I asked him what he thought the nurse was going to tell them. "She's probably going to tell us about the "S" word," was his comment. I asked him what the "s" word was....knowing full well what it was. "You know, Mom, s......e.....x," as he spells it out for me. "But, don't worry, Mom, I know all about it already." A little sweat sprouts on my upper lip at this moment. "But," as he proceeds, "I think you should tell me everything, just in case I DON'T know something." I reassured him that I would....soon. He wants to know when, and can we hurry it up already!


O.k. this isn't new stuff for me, having 2 girls that we've already had the "talk" with--or should I say "I'VE" had the talk with, and with them it was so natural and, somewhat, easy. But, why do I find it so difficult with my son? I look into that face and the words just don't come. Maybe it's because, with this knowledge, it means he's growing up, becoming a young man. Yet, I still see him as my baby boy. Sigh...if they could only stay.


The thing is, once you say those words, the "secret's" out, there's no going back, and you can't suck those words back in your mouth. My little, innocent boy.........o.k., enough! He probably knows more than I think he does. He'll probably surprise ME, not the other way around! Maybe I should just let Chuck do this one........then again, after I heard the story about how his Dad told him--when he was 17..."The girls have this thing called a 'period'....(snicker, snicker)" ...and that was it, I think I'll have to do this one, too.

6 comments:

Kaylyn said...

I don't look forward to that day at all...
I'll give you a call at that point and ask how it went... ;)

Peace is every step said...

Chris-check out this book:

From Diapers to Dating.

It's all about sex ed from birth into adulthood....the key is babysteps, it doesn't have to be all "one big talk", as I'm sure you know!

I should share an interesting conversation I had with Aidan yesterday about private parts....but I think it would sound weird on paper. :)

Chris said...

Dani-thanks for the book. I'll try it, but there are a lot of books out there that I don't like. Some are way too graphic for some age groups. I always start by saying how God made a man's body to fit perfectly with a woman's, and we go from there. It also opens up the topic of what God wants for each of us.

Julie B said...

awww sweet Tanner! It is so great that he feels comfortable enough to ask you to tell him all about it. I hope it all goes well!

I was trying to think back...I don't know if I ever had "the talk" with Mom. Did anyone else?

Anonymous said...

Hey Chrissy, I have the perfect book for you you to read together with Tanner. It is the one I used with Alaina last year and it is geared to young, just learning about everything age that they are. I thought it was perfect and felt pretty comfortable (well almost) reading it to her. I also have From Diapers to Dating you can read, but it doesn't give you tools on how to answer the big questions about s-e-x....(:

Chris said...

Hey Lor--glad to see you on! Finally! Let us know if you start your own blog. :) I'd like to look at those books. Bring them with you on Mon. (thanks)

Julie--my only talk with Mom was, "I hear your learning about sex in health. Do you have any questions?" I said, "No." And she said, "Just let me know if you do." And that was it. Yikes. I made sure that the girls and I talked about it often so that it wasn't uncomfortable.