CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 21, 2008

The latest, greatest invention ever to hit the grocery store...(in this small town, anyway)

I went to Cub Foods the other day, and found this GREAT thing they are finally promoting..............


THE REUSABLE SHOPPING BAG!!!!
This is really exciting for me as I think our town is so far behind in the eco-friendly lifestyle. They were selling these for $1.00 each...which I thought was a bargain since I was eyeing some on-line for $35.00 for 5. I've been taking them everywhere and feel so good about it. They can hold quite a bit, too. They're pretty deep. This morning I lugged all my bags with me to Walmart, and as I was leaving--my bags brimming--a woman at the door handed me a free, recycled, reusable bag from Walmart. I think something's FINALLY catching on here! :)

7 comments:

Peace is every step said...

We're big into the reusable bags! I can't believe how target will bag one item or two per bag--it's crazy.

Ikea has THE BESTEST reusable, HUGE, bags for cheap.

My Lifesong said...

I was just going to say, Ikea! Dad and I have two of them, and use them for our groceries each week. Now there's an article in the paper saying that of the two choices..paper or plastic, that plastic is the better choice. They use 40-60%less energy to produce and generate 80%less waste, they consume less than 4% of the water needed to make them, and they take 91%less energy to recycle a pound of plastic than a pound of paper. Also, they generate 60%less greenhouse gas emissions then uncomposted paper bags, and 70% less than composted bags. Now it seems that the more responsible choice is to recycle these plastic bags. Maybe we all need to promote this. Oh, by the way, take your alum. cans to the recycling center this week, and get 0.80/lb. for earth week. I had over 61 lbs, and got over $49.00 for them.

Chris said...

Wow, Mom! 61 pounds??!! How long did it take you to save those up? :) Chuck just took ours in last weekend...he should have waited for this week. I didn't realize all the interesting info about plastic vs. paper. Ugh, I just don't want to use either anymore.

My Lifesong said...

Chris, I had saved them for a year. This is the best time to recycle them for the money. I agree with you. Use a recycled bag. That's the best way to go, I think.

Julie B said...

that is too funny that your talking about this! Analese and Mara are selling these great reusable bags for a fundraiser for their new school. If I ever find some time to blog about it all!
Anyway-if your interested in GREAT bags- check out this link: http://store.chicobag.com/

Let me know if you interested in them-we're selling them for $5 and half the profit goes directly to their school :)

Lorrie said...

This is my new favorite topic (: Especially after reading all the reports on all the plastic in our oceans!! I bought envirosax and I paid $30 for 5-maybe a little pricey compared to yours, Chris but they are so pretty (:

Lorrie said...

Oh, and Julie-what new school are Analese and Mara attending? I will look at the link (: And mom, I was wondering why there was a line at the recycling center today-I will have to bring mine in this week-we have a ton-but NOT 61 pounds worth!!! That is hilarious.....I didn't know you guys drank so much pop (: