CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

One night in Vail

Chuck's sister Lynn and hubby Gary came to visit us last weekend. It was so fun...and a little odd...to have someone from back home here in our little house in the mountains. They had rented a condo in Vail--which is about an hour and a half away from us. They came to see our town, have lunch, see the house, then head to Vail. We were meeting up with them on Saturday morning to do a little sight-seeing, and maybe a hike or two.
Once in Vail the boys wanted to swim. We have hardly swam this summer, and they were missing it TONS. So, we went swimming---until it rained.

After that, we got dressed and headed into Vail. Our goal was to take the gondola up the mountain (something I wasn't too excited about, being afraid of heights and all) and have dinner. Well, due to the rain and lightening strikes they shut down the gondola. I did a small cheer inside. :) So, we settled for a restaurant that wasn't at 10,000 feet.

Afterward, we headed back to the condo and found a fire pit by the creek. Yes, another creek. I think Chuck and I will be buried by a creek. ;) We found some wood and made a great fire. There are no bugs here, so we ate salsa and chips and had some drinks by the fire. The food did attract a furry visitor, though. When it got dark and we were talking, a big raccoon came crawling out of the bushes and brushed up against Chuck's legs. The raccoon was as startled as we were, I think, and all I could do was thank God it wasn't a skunk. :)
The creek was excruciatingly cold. Check out this picture....you couldn't stay in the water longer than 30 seconds.



This is the best picture!
Lynn and Mitch were the toughest--or had the toughest feet--and stayed in the longest.
Tanner's shocked face.
"Hurry up and take the picture, Mom!!"

Uncle Gary--the boyscout--making the fire.

It was a late night, and soooo much fun!
THE NEXT DAY.....
We decided to drive another hour west to Glenwood Springs to hike. We wanted to see 'Hanging Lake'. The brochures all said that it was an easy hike, so we knew the kids (and choice adults--myself included) could do it. We packed enough energy bars and water to feed an army...then headed out.
An easy trail so far....I hope it's a little more rugged than this!
The cement trail led us to this....beautiful. Mitchie....don't drink that water!
My guys with their 'camel backs' on.
"Mom, this trail is tough...let's rest..."
The trail followed this stream.....completely uphill.

Another rest. He is sitting on a rock ON the trail.
Breathtaking scenery.
But...some of us were NOT happy. :)
Even Lynnie needed a rest.

Oh my.....we're almost there!
After hiking for over an hour, we came to this. This is a lake at the top of a mountain--hence the name 'hanging lake'. I guess the earth at one point was level here, then a large portion of it sank, forming the lake. It was crystal clear.

If you look really close you can see the rainbow trout swimming below the water.
Just beautiful...

The Johnson hiking crew. Poor Allison had to work this day, so she wasn't able to come. :(
Here's Tanner at the top of the waterfall.

On our way back down...but still at the top. Oh this picture makes me nervous. I'm clinging to the mountain.
O.k. maybe I'll get a little closer for this shot.

Fine....I'll get in the picture. Notice the death grips I have on the boys? VERY VERY HIGH!!!

The trek down did not take us very long. Mitch practically RAN the whole way down. Where do they get their energy?? All in all, it was well worth the "EASY" hike up.
Thanks, Lynn and Gary, for a great weekend. It was so nice to see you.























8 comments:

Kaylyn said...

Looks like a blast...and soooo beautiful!! Can't wait to come visit! Tell Askhely that I LOVE her shirt- I am a big Skillet fan!! :)

Peace is every step said...

What cool adventures you've been on already! A WHOLE HOUR of hiking? I laughed so hard at that:). I'm sure uphill, up a mountain makes an hour hike tough, but suck it up woman. XOXOXOXO

Chris said...

Yeah, tell me about it! Lynn and I were laughing so hard---the total trail was 1.2 miles, and WE WERE DYING!! Hey, it wasn't just me, Lynn was having a hard time, too, and you know how athletic she is! I think it was the elevation, also. We just couldn't catch our breath.

Yeah, I know....excuses, excuses. I'm just out of shape...O.K.!!!???

Lorrie said...

The pictures are beautiful and the lake at the top was breathtaking! I wish I had a place like that to hike! Sibley just doesn't cut it (: I'm glad you got to spend such a great weekend with Lynn and Gary-I can't wait to visit!

Phil said...

Gosh it looks like you guys had so much fun! That lake looked amazing! I love the wilderness! I'm at Concordia and we're trapped inside...
I miss you guys!
-phil

Sharyn said...

Oh, Chrissie, I'm sure I could run up that moutain! Such drama! haha...j/k I'm bet it was tough! The pictures are breathtaking! I want to come visit so bad! Hopefully next summer! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks! Maybe we could take a day and go hiking in Spokane??

allison said...

At the time these pictures were taken, I was either at Walmart or eating TV dinners.
hehe

Chris said...

My poor LaLa. I think you secretly loved having the house to yourself, though....am I right??