CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

My first week as a single Mom....

O.k. everyone. I made it through my first week as a single Mom. I don't recommend this to anyone; and the ones that do this day in and day out I have a newfound respect for. I can't imagine throwing work on top of it all. I thank God every day that I'm able to still stay home.

Due to Sawyer being sick for most of the week, I've been quite bored during the school day. With no hubby coming home at the end of the day, I've found every excuse not to clean the house, or do laundry, make a meal, or do dishes.....I've been a lump, I'll admit. On Friday I snapped out of my coma, and am ready to take on this new challenge. I mean, really, Chuck is the one that has the crappy end of this deal--starting a brand new, intense job, living in a strange city, going home to a one-bedroom, very quiet apartment at the end of the day. No kisses or hugs from the people that love him most in the world. I think being apart has been hard on us two, also. Yeah, we talk 2 to 3 times a day, but phone calls just don't cut it. I'll forget to tell him something important and try to get in touch with him during the day, and it's almost impossible--and I feel guilty calling him at work. Then at the end of the day when I'm exhausted, he'll call to show me a house on the internet that he found, and when I have a hard time getting it on my screen, or finding the right website he gets a little frustrated with me, and I get annoyed that he's talking to me in a 'not so nice' way.

This is definetely adjustment time. I'm positive it'll all be o.k. in the end, and we'll be much stronger for it. My biggest fear is that this arrangement will become too comfortable. I miss him already.

In Colorado, he has reverted to his pre-Chris self: cleaning everything the moment it's dirty--dishes, bathroom, laundry, etc. He irons his outfits the night before, and lays them out nicely for the following morning. His fridge is full of salads (why doesn't he eat those with me?), fish, shrimp cocktail (???) and single serve meals. He's really making me look bad. :)


In other news.....this week has also been a busy week for the kids. Allison is now the official track manager. Her boyfriend is a running maniac, and talked her into being the track manager so that she can come to all the track meets. I'm excited for her. This will get her outside in the springtime air. (She is a jammy-wearing, romantic movie watching kinda girl--gotta love it!) Her first track meet was on Tues., and since there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground, they had it in an indoor track---3 1/2 hours away, on a school night! She didn't get home til 1:00 a.m. that night. Yeah, that means I had to stay up, too, and pick her up. :( On Wed. our varsity boys basketball team went to the state tournaments, and Allison played in the pep band. All the games were in the cities (2 hrs. away) so that meant another late night. My girlfriend and I took a van load of kids down to the game. It was a blast! We won that night! We didn't get home until 12:00 a.m. I let the kids sleep in the following morning and they were happy--me, too. On Thursday night Allison had to play, again, in the pep band in the cities. Our team lost this game, unfortunetly...but played on Saturday for 3rd place. So, again, Thursday was another late night. Friday night rolled around, and Alli and I were in our jammies by 6:30! I made chicken fajitas, and we settled in for movie night.

On Saturday, we got going early and headed with another van load to the cities for the final game. It was a blast--and we won the 3rd place title by 1 point. We recieved so many compliments on the pep band--I mean...these kids can PLAY!!! We just blew everyone out of the water (the band, that is). It was so fun.
Alli is the shortest one in the center.
Today (Sunday) is a free day! Nothing on our schedule today. Hmmmm....what movies should we watch today?
Here are a few that we've watched this weekend:
Atonement----very good love story. Alli said it was depressing. Not for kids, though.
I Am Legend----I liked this movie. I enjoy movies that have a "what if" theme. I sometimes wonder what I would do if I was the last person on earth. I, also, like Will Smith. :) Do not, I repeat, Do not let the kids watch this one! They will be sleeping with you for days afterward. Allison and Phil both were freaked out after watching this. Tanner--the lovely younger brother that he is---followed them in a room after they watched this movie and turned out the lights on them. I had the lovely experience of hearing Phil scream like a school girl. Way too funny!
Dan in Real Life----Ashley saw this one. I'll probably watch it today. It's not your typical Steve Carell movie. Kind of serious, I think.
Because I said So----I like Diane Keaton movies, and I thought this one was cute. Don't worry, I didn't let the kids see this one. Definitely adult humor.
Nancy Drew----This one is a must see! It was perfect for the kids, too. May be a little scary in parts for younger viewers, though, but my kids loved it. I, also, thought it had a great lesson.
I realized I never posted pictures of Easter. I have some good ones for everyone to see. ;) I'll try and post later....maybe between movies. ;) You will want to check back for these.

6 comments:

Kaylyn said...

Dan In Real Life is one of my Favs!! SOooooo good!!!!

Chris said...

Dan in Real Life is now one of my favorites, too. I laughed AND cried throughout the movie. I love the family in this movie, also. Such a good film. :)

Lorrie said...

Chuck is in for a rude awakening when you guys move there (: You'll have to re-train him all over again....
We recently watched Dan in Real Life and loved it-we are big Dane Cook fans (: Remember, if you need help with anything being a single mom, do not hesitate to ask!! I would be so you-a lump-if Jon wasn't around to motivate me to do it (:

Julie B said...

I don't blame you for taking some time this week and being a bum (which I don't necessarily believe that you really can be a bum with 4 kids!)
Sounds like you ended the week with a great perspective!
We rented Atonement last week but never got a chance to see it...I am hoping to rent it again this weekend :)

Peace is every step said...

You deserved a little staring, mind-numbing time this week. I can't imagine driving to all those events so far during the week and then getting up bright and early for school. I worry I will totally suck it up with those things, I'm way too introverted & need alone time :).
XOXOXOXO

My Lifesong said...

Sounds like a typical hectic week for the J's family, and isn't it great to share those times with friends? Don't be hard on yourself for lazy days. We all need them(at least once or more a week), and helps to refresh you for days ahead. Chuck's gotta lighten up!