CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A little out of sorts...

That's how I'm feeling. Don't get me wrong, the new job is great. I've met a lot of Mom's this past week, along with their beautiful children. What fun my work day is.....
What's gotten me out of sorts? Maybe it's my health...I'm trying to kick something that kept me on the couch with aches from Friday last week until Monday. Tuesday was the first day I felt a little normal. Today, though, I'm in a funk....lack of sleep, terrible dreams last night, dehydration...it could be any one of those. But the real reason, I think, is how I'm feeling as a Mommy. A couple things that have been brought to my attention yesterday and today make me feel as if I'm failing, in a way. One of my beautiful daughter's is getting a 'D' in a class. Her other grades aren't great, either. She has NEVER had worse than a B- in all the years she's been in school. My first reaction was horror! I tried not to yell....that doesn't solve anything. My reaction went from anger ("How could you let it get this BAD??"), to faked indifference ("Well, this means you can't attend the next field trip. That's too bad.") to worry ("Is everything o.k.? Is there something you're not telling me?"). I don't think Chuck got a word in...poor guy. So, I went to bed feeling terrible, and angry at myself. I don't want her to feel bad about herself...there's no need to, she's an awesome and SMART person. Today I'm in 'fix it' mode. I'll be sending some emails out to see what we can do for her. Any other suggestions?

When I got home from work today I had a number of different emails from a few teachers. I was informed that my son has two MAJOR assignments that he hasn't turned in yet. Of course I had no idea. His teacher said that normally the highest grade he can receive for late work is a 'C', but she's going to give him a 'teaching moment', accepting the work for full credit IF he agrees to not have any more late assignments for the rest of the year. So, the pressure is on!

Why is it that us parents take it personally when their kids get a bad grade, or assignments are late? I know that I'm not the only one! I guess it's because it's been my JOB to teach them responsibility. I know I can be hard on myself...this is THEIR lives...THEIR grades...not mine. But man, I feel as if I am being graded......and failing miserably.

4 comments:

Peace is every step said...

You are definately NOT failing. Think of all the changes for all of you in the past few months. You are all still adjusting & soon the real work of adjusting will be happening as you settle in. Keep talking together & give a call if you need to unload! Believe me, I'm the queen of Mama guilt. Maybe we're on the same moon cycle by the looks of my own post, posted the same night! :) XOXOXO love to you.

Lorrie said...

The reason you are feeling guilt is because you are an EXCELLENT mother. You wouldn't be feeling this way if you didn't care. I feel the same way when the kids do bad at school....I get complete anxiety over it and hound the kids until it is resolved (thankfully I haven't had to deal with anything major). Just give it some time. I am sure they are just trying to adjust to new schools, teachers, everything and they will get back on track-they are very smart kids!! Remember last year when Tanner did the same thing, you'll just have to be more aware, I guess (:
Sorry you have been feeling sick ): Hopefully, you will kick everything and be back to feeling great! Just remember I am just a phone call away and would love to listen (: Hope to talk to you soon!
Love you!

Chris said...

Ahhh...I need to get my butt on the phone. I miss you two so much. sniff sniff.
Thank you for the support. Danielle, you are right about the adjustments that are being done now that we are settled. Mitch has been talking A LOT about Minnesota and all that he misses. :( And I agree, after reading your post I think we are on the same moon cycle. :)
After talking to the physics teacher that produced the 'D'...I have total sympathy for her. I could barely understand the words he used! hee hee Chuck said that he met him at open house and he used to work on nuclear reactors on a nuclear submarine. Crazy! Way too much brain power for me.

But, thanks ladies! I love you lots!

Peace is every step said...

Miss you too! I was reading one of my favorite blogs and realized how healing it is for me to read when I can. Maybe it will be for you too. Just get out the tissue and get ready to wake your kids up and hug them after you read it :).

http://wondertime.go.com/parent-to-parent/blogs/catherine-newman-blog/09152008.html