CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 23, 2009

A weeks worth...

I'm putting a hold on any more house news. It seems to be changing every day, so I'm not going to post about it until it's all settled. Just patiently waiting until things fall into place, that will tell me where we are supposed to be. I've decided to stop obsessing about our next house, and picturing us in each house we see. I do love to daydream about where I'd put our furniture, which bedrooms would belong to each kid, but I find now that I can't get to sleep 'cause I lay in bed THINKING!! So, I'm letting it go. What will be, will be.

We joined our church last Sunday, with a reception afterwards. What a great group of people. Our pastor just has a way of speaking to my heart. Maybe it's because he's close to my age and speaks like he's talking to a group of friends, but it's great, and I've never felt this way before about a church. It's exciting.

Last Sunday was a beautiful spring day, and we headed to the high school for a 2 hr. lacrosse scrimmage. Tanner scored 3 points, so he was excited. He's really getting the hang of the game. We just need to work on his stamina....mine, too. :) I can't imaging running ONCE down that field, let alone 2 hrs. worth of running back and forth.



During the scrimmage, the girls finished up their last performance of 'Beauty and the Beast'. I'll be getting a CD of pictures, and will post a few then.



Afterward, we grabbed the boys and headed back to church for pizza and cards. We taught the kids how to play 'Spades'...and ourselves, too. It was so much fun. I knew Mitch would enjoy it, as he loves playing any and every game. It is now his fav.



We wrapped up the night and prayed for rain/snow overnight. We didn't get a flake or a drop! We need it soooo bad. We are in extreme fire danger right now.

----------------------------------------

Well, that was all LAST weekend. Our week flew by with school and work. On Thursday morning it finally started to snow! School was called off, and we were officially in spring break. The kids were, obviously, ecstatic! It was great to have a snow day. Even Chuck got to stay home. Yay! We ended up with over 18 inches of snow that day. Three days later it was melted, but it was a fun 3 days!

So, my plan was to take the kids somewhere different every day. We were going to head to Colorado Springs to check out some 'touristy' things there, but the weather isn't cooperating. I don't want to do outdoor things while there's snow on the ground. I can hear the girls now....brrrr....yes, they're such wimps. Honestly, I don't like the cold air either. My other 'cool' idea was to head to Glenwood Springs and soak (me)/play (boys) in the hot springs. But, you guessed it, Vail pass was closed yesterday, and the weather hasn't been the best for traveling in the mountains--with a mini-van, that is. We'll try it at the end of the week. Allison is back to work and has been need the van every day in the evening. She's off Thurs. and Friday, so we're going to pack everything into those two days.

Today, we're heading to Denver to Plato's Closet to sell some of the girls' clothes. They have so many that they don't wear. I'll let you know how much we get for them. I have a feeling it won't last long in their pockets, though.

So...over this past weekend Ashley was asked to prom. She's only 15 (freshman) so Chuck and I were quite leery about letting her go. We haven't given her the final o.k. We're still talking about the 'rules'...like no driving alone in a car together, must be in a group, Allison's the chaperon...stuff like that. :) We'll see how this pans out. Alli is going to prom here and back in MN. She's paying for her own trip to MN..hence the new job. Hopefully she doesn't purchase a one way ticket and never comes back!...maybe I shouldn't have said that.....

Alli has been working on a quilt for Phil's (her boyfriend) graduation. It will be beautiful when it's done. I can't post pics 'cause Phil reads this...sorry Phil. He knows she's making one, so I didn't just ruin the surprise, he just doesn't know what it will look like/ or what colors she's using. She's been cutting every day for over a week. She's now onto sewing. I'm so proud of her. I'm dying to help her...which she doesn't want....so I have to leave the room when she's working on it. I haven't tackled a quilt before, and watching her makes me want to go out and buy fabric to make my own. It looks so tedious, but the outcome is so pretty...Can't wait to show you all.

Yesterday, I started a little spring cleaning. I just can't bring myself to decorate for spring yet, mainly because we'll be (hopefully) moving in the next month or two. We're so cramped here that I just want to put all un-needed stuff in boxes. Believe me, Chuck feels the same...less to clean. So, I started by vacuuming all the cobwebs off the wood beams and ceilings. You would not BELIEVE the cobwebs/spiders in this state! I was shocked. I shudder right now thinking about it...I swear I was covered by them!....ick.....I packed up all my dusty yarns just sitting there waiting for me to play with them. I really need to find a project...and some money for more yarn. :) Chuck's allergies have been TERRIBLE in the last week or so!! I feel so bad for him. Spring has sprung down in Denver and the pollen is VERY high and the atmosphere is very dry, so he's miserable. I have to keep the windows closed now so it doesn't get in the house, and I'm getting rid of everything that is a dust magnet---which is almost everything. We put a new filter in the furnace, too, so hopefully that will help a little. Poor guy....meds aren't doing the trick either. :(

Chuck and I have been budgeting. We've been pretty good about it, too. Our weakness?...eating out. It's the one thing that we went over at the start of the year. This past month has been so much better, thank you very much. We're still working out the kinks, and trying to figure out what works best to keep us both on budget. The kids will be getting an allowance starting next month, so that they can start budgeting their own money, too. Another thing we've been talking/thinking about is a 'Plan B'. With the economy the way it is, people have been saying that everyone should have a 'plan B' just in case they lose their jobs--which is a very high possibility these days. It's not fun to talk about, and makes me very anxious, but it's smart. We have a family at our church that I think about daily. He was a financial planner in CA until his company let him go. He hasn't found a job yet, and him and his wife and two kids had to move here to CO to live with her parents. Nobody is hiring right now in the financial world, and they're just in limbo. There are so many stories like that out there, it's terrifying. So, a 'plan B' is in order.

I need to go make breakfast for the kids. Hope all is going well with everyone. :)


3 comments:

Lorrie said...

Wow, so much to comment on........

First off, you will find the perfect house eventually (: do you have to be out of this one at any certain time? I am curious what happened with the last two??

Glad you found a church you love! It sounds like a great church, too!

So is Ashley's date her boyfriend? I can't wait to see pictures of their prom!! Can't wait to see Ali at prom here, too! It's crazy that is coming up so fast!!

Did you have a good spring break? Were you able to any of the fun things you wanted?

Awesome on the budget!! Yes, it is great to have a Plan B, it's just hard to get to that point, isnt' it? Our budget has been a life saver for us! I love using the envelope system! so far, so good!

I'll call you soon-love ya!

Peace is every step said...

Yo, yo, yo. Love your updates. I can't believe Ashley is old enough to date someone, let alone go to prom! Wow, they all grow up too fast.

Keep updating! I'm a budget maniac these days....I think I should've been the accountant & Shawn should've been a surfer or something. :) It is so wonderful to have an emergency fund sitting there for that just in case.

Kaylyn said...

so good to hear how things are going for you guys in CO! Excited to see what home you end up with!

Tell Allison I am proud of her too for making a quilt!

Our biggest weakness on our budget is def eating out too!!!! We love to go out and me not have to cook! We have been doing Dave Ramsy's envelope system- we are a cash only family now! It's great!

Can't wait for more updates!