CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 24, 2008

What season is this???

We woke up one morning this past week with 4 inches of snow. It was beautiful, and brought up feelings of Christmas and sleigh rides. One thing I didn't like, or expect, was that I couldn't drive up the driveway. I didn't even make it up a fourth of the way. Yes, our driveway is that steep, and my front-wheeled drive van is hopeless with snowy, slippery, steep hills. This may be a long winter. I would of parked on the street, but we're not allowed. So, I left the van at the bottom of the hill. A little bit later I receive a call from Ashley whose class was taking a field trip. She says, "Mom, is that our van stuck at the bottom of the hill???" I told her "Yes." and her and her friends burst out laughing. That summed up my day, and my attempts to make it up the hill.
Three days later the snow was melted and gone. That's typical here, so they tell me. My emotions are askew....wanting to start a fire in the fireplace, cooking pot roasts and stew...to spring cleaning and taking hikes outside in the 70 degree weather. The sun is so strong here, melting everything and warming things up. I think I'm gonna like it here.....
In other news, we're on fall break right now. Chuck took the girls with him back to Minnesota to get the rest of the stuff out of our house. So, the boys and I are having a party of our own. We went and saw "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" yesterday. It was really cute. Any dog lover will like this movie. Tonight we're watching 'The Hulk'. We bought a mini cart full of goodies for tonight. On special nights like tonight I let the boys get whatever they like. It's kind of a treat for me, too. :) Our favorites: Garden Salsa Sun Chips, Sour Cream and Cheddar chips, little containers of our favorite ice cream, Garlic Bread Pizza (yum), pop (non-caffeine for the boys), and CHOCOLATE!! I have to make up for the fact that they didn't get to go home to see their friends, like their sisters. I can't even bring it up as it 'causes great sadness--in both me and them. I'll be counting down the days until the holiday season, when we'll be home next. I take solace in the fact that the girls are on cloud nine. Chuck said that they sang all the way home. They were just giddy. Today they went to school with their friends, and have bonfires and parties this weekend. This is just what they need right now. Allison just recently broke up with Jack, her latest boyfriend, so she needed some best-friend time.
Otherwise, we're trying to come up with Halloween costumes. This may be one of the kids' favorite holidays (can you call it that?), but me....I hate trying to come up with costumes, and I hate buying ones from the store. Tanner wants to go as 'Edward Scissorhands'. I'll have to research that. He's invited to a halloween party and trick-or-treating with friends. He's very excited. Mitch, who knows? He wants to be something scary, but I've never allowed the kids to dress up as something too scary, so I keep saying no to everything that he suggests. I'm no fun! ;)
Does anyone have any unique ideas out there for costumes? What are you dressing up as?

5 comments:

Peace is every step said...

Aidan wants to be a "tree" and Nevie a "ladybug ghost". That spells "HOMEMADE" to me. ugh.

Julie B said...

Analese is being a "woodland fairy", or, according to her "a woodland fairy who really likes unicorns" and Mara is being a "princess ballerina". Both of their costumes are SO cute, and soo them. Mara saw her costume and refused to consider anything else. Analese's costume is all browns and golds, so I promised her I would somehow tie pink ribbons on it so that she has some pink :) The things we go through.....

Can't wait to see the ladybug ghost Danielle!

Lorrie said...

Alaina-doctor
Jonnie-Ninja
Sawyer-Elmo (the only costume he wanted that he said wasn't scary :) Can't wait to see everyones costumes.
Hope you had a fun weekend with the boys-I'm sad I didn't see the girls when they were home. Hope they had a great weekend with their friends!

Maja said...

HAhaha, Lorrie, I am giggling just thinking about Sawyer and all those "scary" costumes... :)

Luci is being a turtle (not that she really has a clue). Adam used to call her Turtle or Turtle-y (:P) when she was learning to crawl and would somehow flip onto her back and get stuck. It was so funny to watch... She just seemed to forget that she knew how to roll over and would lie there with all her limbs flailing. We saw a turtle costume on our honeymoon, and had to have it. :)

I'll probably take her to the mall, since we can go visit Daddy and since she looooves kids. I expect to hear "He's so cute!" a lot... Oh well! Maybe I'll give her some pink ribbons too, Julie!

Chris said...

They all sound so adorable!! I wish I could see everyone. You'll all have to post pictures. Tanner got invited to stay at a friends house and he's so excited. I am, too. :) He needs a night away. I'm sad that we won't see him that night, but excited he's invited to spend the night with a friend. Alli is going to a haunted house with friends, and a party afterwards; Ashley is staying home and watching scary movies with us....(even though she says that she refuses to watch). She'll be the candy girl. Chuck and I will take Mitch out for a while to trick or treat.
Hope everyone has a safe Halloween!

p.s. I can just see Sawyer and all those scary masks. :)